Sunday, April 25, 2010

Deutsch




Deutsch is an agency within the Interpublic Group that is headquartered in New York City. Some of Deutsch’s clients include Unilever, Price Waterhouse Coopers (PWC), Snapple, Direct TV, Volkswagen, and IKEA. While browsing on the Deutsch Inc. website, I stumbled across a really unique advertising campaign that was recently done for IKEA.

This campaign was done by the New York office of Deutsch, and it played off of President Obama's speech when he says "The world has changed, and we must change with it." Through this campaign IKEA encouraged consumers to "embrace change" by advertising around Washington D.C. In Washington D.C.'s Union Station, IKEA furnished a mock Oval Office with all IKEA furniture. In this replica, consumers could sit at the "President's desk" and take a photo or simply just walk around the display. Also, on IKEA's website, there was a page designated to designing your own Oval Office and send their designs to the actual Oval Office. This campaign encouraged consumers to purchase affordable IKEA furniture and be "fiscally responsible," which most people are looking for in a time with a rocky economic situation.

I think that this campaign was really awesome and very effective. I believe that linking an ad campaign with an event that will go down in history (Obama's election) can be very powerful if done right, and I believe that Deutsch did this right. This advertising campaign was definitely socially responsible and not at all offensive. Even if a viewer of this campaign isn't an Obama fan, this ad campaign wouldn't offend them, because it doesn't take a political stance, it just elaborates on something that is happening in the United States.

I encourage you to watch the video on this (I was unable to embed it), but attached a link and directions of how to get to it.

Go to http://www.deutschinc.com/
Click on "Gallery"
Choose "NY"
Click the box with "IKEA Event" in it that shows an IKEA flag (top row, third in from the right)

No comments:

Post a Comment