Friday, April 23, 2010

DraftFCB

Lexus RX350 & RX450h
South Africa

DraftFCB is an agency within the Interpublic Group that has headquarters in both Chicago and New York. DraftFCB was formed in 2006 with a merger between two agencies, Foote, Cone & Belding and Draft. Some well-known clients of Draft FCB include the following: Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), United States Postal Service, Motorola, EA Games, and Kraft Foods. The spot below and the photo above are both taken from the campaign that DraftFCB's office in Johannesburg, South Africa did for Lexus. This campaign is titled "Namaqualand." On the DraftFCB website, where I found both of these, was a message that I found interesting....

"One in two South Africans would rather choose dream cars over green cars, as they are convinced that hybrids equal underperforming cars. Lexus is the first to deliver the contrary through their "performance with conscience" philosophy."

I thought that this message was interesting, because it seems that in America a lot of people are wrapped up in being green, as well as getting good gas mileage on their vehicle (which hybrids tend to do). I thought these commercials were effective in advertising the car, as well as introducing the hybrid concept in a "chic" way. Since the Lexus RX is offered as either a hybrid or not, it may have been effective for the commercial to possibly show some statistics supporting why the hybrid is a good choice. Because Lexus is a luxury vehicle brand, some people that may have not been interested in owning a hybrid vehicle may change their mind when they see the Lexus is making them. I also thought that the print ad was effective, because although a very chic vehicle, it depicts the car as being "family friendly." This is most likely a concern for many people considering purchasing a luxury vehicle, because to afford a luxury vehicle most people have an established career (and possibly a family). Overall, I think that this campaign is effective, but could have possibly been more effective.


No comments:

Post a Comment